To prevent data loss it’s important to eject and remove the USB device correctly. Here are some ways how to properly eject your USB device for Mac and PCs.
- To eject, select the USB drive icon that you’d like to remove.
- Drag this USB drive’s icon to the Trash , which changes into an Eject icon , as you drag.
- Your USB drive’s icon will disappear and you may now unplug your USB device from your computer.
- At the lower right corner of your screen, locate the green arrow next to the clock icon (that says your date and time). If you’re unsure where the green arrow is, just try to hover your mouse over that corner near your clock icon until you find something that says, “Safely Remove Hardware”.
- After you’ve clicked on the icon, a new menu that lists your removable hardware will pop up. You may have more than one device listed. Click on the drive you wish to remove, usually we name your drive into the couple’s names; if not, locate the one that says, “USB Mass Storage Device”.
- Wait for a few seconds until you see a pop up that says that it’s safe to remove hardware. You can now unplug your USB from your computer.
Make sure that you do this every time so your footage and films in your USB stay intact!